Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Army
Soldier and Family Assistance Manager
1220 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Portland Recruiting Battalion has two S-1 (Personnel) locations; one in the Continental United States (CONUS), the other in Honolulu, HI serving the Pacific (OCONUS). Recruiters will be in uniform. They will bring with them: a copy of their last evaluation, DD Form 93/Servicemen's Group Life Insurance election, Certificate of Training, and Assignment Orders. They will also bring any copies of financial documents, i.e. advanced pay/DITY Move (weight tickets, receipts, maintenance costs).
Incoming personnel will contact the Battalion Headquarters S-1 at 503-256-2215, or Honolulu Co., at 808-541-1626. Recruiters will have received a tentative pin-point assignment. At that time, they will be assigned a station sponsor. The Battalion S-1 makes every effort to be sure that the Soldier and Family Assistance (SFA) Manager receives this address as well.
To obtain a sponsor you may either call the recruiting station assigned or the Battalion S-1 for a personal name and telephone number. Mail may be forwarded to the Battalion or Company Headquarters (See Table of Locations).
The S-1 for Recruiters stationed within CONUS for intake is the Battalion Headquarters located at 1220 SW 3rd Ave, Suite 560, Portland, OR 97204, telephone: 503-256-2215.
Recruiters assigned to stations in the Honolulu Company or Guam Detachments will report to their projected recruiting station to inprocess.