Cost of Living

The United Kingdom is a high cost of living area for the military, so you should prepare and start saving for the move months before you PCS. To help offset the higher price of non-housing goods and services, you will receive an Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (COLA). To find more information about COLA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website Remember that in securing rental housing at a new location, you may be required to pay the first month's rent (which can range from 500 pounds to 2,500 pounds) in advance and also a security deposit equivalent to a month's rent, which is a major expense. Personnel should also be prepared to defray added expenses not normally found in the States, i.e., television license (annual cost is approximately 160 pounds), and vehicle road tax which can vary significantly depending on vehicle type and engine size.