SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Army
100 East Headquarters Road
Fort McCoy, WI 54656
This information was taken from bestplaces.net. Fort McCoy is located in Monroe County, Wisconsin. The cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means Monroe County is cheaper than the US average. All information is as of March 1, 2022.
Overall: The total of all the cost of living categories weighted subjectively as follow: Housing (30%); food and groceries (15%); transportation (10%); utilities (6%); health care (7%); and miscellaneous expenses such as clothing, services, and entertainment (32%). State and local taxes are not included in any category.
Housing: The median cost of an area's average home, for both buying and renting. Does not include property taxes.
Miscellaneous: The cost index of those goods and services not included in the other cost of living categories, including clothing, restaurants, repairs, entertainment, and other services.
Monroe County cost of living is 84.4
COST OF LIVING:
Median Home Cost: $173,200
Defense Service Network (DSN) Dialing Instructions
The DSN is the provider of long-distance communications service for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by world-wide location. In order to place a call using DSN, the caller must be using a military phone on an installation. Cell phones cannot dial DSN numbers. When dialing a DSN number from a United States installation to another United States installation, it is unnecessary to dial the DSN 312 area code. When dialing a DSN number to/from overseas locations, the DSN area code must be included. The operator can be reached at commercial (719) 567-1110. Please note that long distance charges may be incurred.
Strengthen Total Force Readiness by serving as a Training Center, Mobilization Force Generation Installation, and Strategic Support Area.
To be the Strategic Support Area of Choice for Training America's Armed Forces.
Total Force Training Center
Fort McCoy is known as the Total Force Training Center because this installation supports the training and mobilization of reserve and active component military personnel from all branches of America's armed forces.
Fort McCoy has become the training site of choice for satisfying both individual and collective training requirements.
The Installation's varied terrain, state-of-the-art ranges, new as well as renovated facilities, and extensive support infrastructure, combine to afford our military personnel with an excellent environment in which to develop and sustain the skills necessary for their mission success.
Fort McCoy is named for Robert Bruce McCoy.
The son of a Civil War captain, McCoy was a prominent local resident who, throughout his lifetime, served as a lawyer; district attorney; county judge; and mayor of Sparta, Wis.
He reached the rank of major general during his 31 years of distinguished military service, which included service in the Spanish-American War, the police action in Mexico, and World War I.
McCoy returned from the Spanish-American War with a dream. He knew that as warfare became increasingly more modern, larger and more powerful guns would be developed, and training would be emphasized. He envisioned these changes would require larger training areas, and, by 1905, he had acquired approximately 4,000 acres of land in the Sparta area.
Maj. Samuel Allen of the 7th Field Artillery at Fort Snelling, Minn., also admired the terrain of the Sparta area for its training value. McCoy invited Allen's unit to put his Family's ranch to the test during 16 days of training. September 1905 marked the first use of the land for military purposes.
As a result of the 16-day test, Allen recommended to an Army review board that a large piece of land be purchased for an artillery camp. Approximately 14,000 acres of land, including McCoy's property, were purchased in 1909. The resulting parcel was called the Sparta Maneuver Tract.
The Sparta Maneuver Tract was divided approximately in half by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. The maneuver camp situated on the northern half of the parcel was referred to as Camp Emory Upton, while that to the south was known as Camp Robinson, an artillery camp.
In 1910, the War Department authorized $40,000 for construction and improvements to the area. The camp officially was designated Camp McCoy on Nov. 19, 1926, in honor of Maj. Gen. Robert B. McCoy, who had died that same year.
More than 45,000 acres were added between 1938 and 1942. Unlike any other acquisition of sub-marginal farm land by the federal government, the Camp McCoy project envisioned the use of the land for military purposes as well as fishing, hunting and forest production.
In February 1942, the War Department announced the building of a cantonment area referred to as the “New Camp,” which still serves as the installation’s cantonment area today. These additions included construction of the large, triangular-shaped cantonment area, known as the “triad.”
Camp McCoy was used as a training facility for many World War II units, including the 2nd Infantry Division; the 76th Infantry Division; and the 100th Infantry Battalion, which comprised Hawaii National Guardsmen of Japanese ancestry and was among the most decorated units in history. The post also served as a prisoner-of-war and enemy-alien prison camp during this time.
Aside from temporary lulls, the installation has been in almost constant use since its founding in 1909 and has provided artillery and maneuver training opportunities for millions of military personnel from all services.
Camp McCoy was aligned under U.S. Army Forces Command on July 1, 1973, and officially was re-designated as Fort McCoy on Sept. 30, 1974. In 1990-91, during Operations Desert Shield/Storm, Soldiers from 74 separate units and their equipment were deployed and redeployed at Fort McCoy.
From June 1991 through June 1992, the post also completed Operation Desert Fix, which was one of the largest reserve-component equipment demobilization/repair missions in the Army. During Desert Fix, Fort McCoy was responsible for inventorying, inspecting, repairing, and returning more than a division-and-a-half's worth of equipment to 121 owning units located throughout a nine-state area.
The 1990s ushered in the first great construction growth experienced at the post since the construction of the cantonment area in 1942.
From 1990 to the present day, new construction projects have served to modernize the post's infrastructure, facilities, and training areas. The hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the post have benefited Fort McCoy as well the local economy, with the majority of the new construction contracts having been awarded to regional firms.
The installation has provided support and facilities for the training of more than 100,000 personnel annually since 1984.
Fort McCoy was realigned under what is now known as the Installation Management Command (IMCOM) in 2002. On March 8, 2019, Installation Management Command became a subordinate command to Army Materiel Command, which Fort McCoy is also now aligned under through IMCOM.
Today, Fort McCoy’s primary mission is to support the readiness of the force by serving as a training center, mobilization force generation installation, and strategic support area. The installation has served in a continuing capacity as an Army power-projection site by processing and preparing military personnel for duty in overseas contingency operations.
The installation has served in a continuing capacity as an Army power-projection site by processing and preparing military personnel for duty in overseas contingency operations.
From Sept. 11, 2001, through Dec. 30, 2011, 140,197 military personnel from 2,416 units mobilized or demobilized at Fort McCoy during the installation's efforts to support the war on terrorism.
In September 2014, the movie "Fort McCoy" was released. "Fort McCoy" is a drama written, co-produced, and co-directed by Kate Connor, who also stars in the film, playing her real-life grandmother. The film, based on a true story, is set in the summer of 1944, with Connor sharing the experience of her mother's family with the U.S. Army and prisoner-of-war camp situated at the Wisconsin post.
Today, the post provides full-scale support to its customers at each juncture of its training triad — transient, institutional, and exercise. Fort McCoy training levels reached an all-time record in fiscal year 2017 with 155,975 personnel participating in training.
The estimated population of Monroe County is 45,771, as of 2019.
The Fort McCoy population consists of 1,300 military and 2,800 civilians working on the installation with an average daily student population of 3,900. There is a retiree population of 143K served by Fort McCoy.
Fort McCoy is situated on approximately 60,000 acres in the Coulee Region of West Central Wisconsin. It is located on Hwy 21 between Sparta, known as the "Bicycling Capital of America" and Tomah, the "Gateway to Cranberry Country," marked by more than 2,500 acres of cranberry marshes dotting the region. Sparta (pop. 9,717) and Tomah (pop. 9383) are each about eight miles from the installation. Fort McCoy is approximately 35 miles east of La Crosse and 105 miles northwest of Madison and is located in a low to moderate income area. The base operator's phone number is 608-388-2222 or DSN 312-280-1110.
To Fort McCoy via Shuttle from Airport
If you are flying into the La Crosse airport, the Fort McCoy shuttle bus will pick up those who are here on official business by calling 608-388-3616. There is information available in the airport lobby. Pickups are regularly scheduled 7 days a week from noon until the last flight arrives.
Driving from the West
If you are approaching Fort McCoy from the West, take Interstate 90 East to Sparta, Exit 25. Go North on Hwy 27 to Montgomery Street (high school is on the corner on left side). Turn right and go to Rusk Street (2nd stop sign). Turn left onto Hwy 21 and proceed approximately 8 miles to Fort McCoy.
Driving from the East
If you are coming from the East, take Interstate 94 West. Exit to State Hwy 21 at Tomah and turn left. Proceed West on Hwy 21 for about 8 miles to Fort McCoy.
The nearest commercial airport to Fort McCoy is La Crosse Municipal Airport, located 35 miles west of the installation in La Crosse WI. A courtesy phone to arrange pickup for individuals traveling on official orders is located in the airport lobby. Rental cars are available at the airport. Other commercial airports in the region include Madison WI or Rochester MN, 110 miles; Minneapolis/St Paul MN, 180 miles; Milwaukee WI 185 miles; and Chicago O'Hare in IL, 240 miles. The TMP does not provide transportation to or from these airports.
608-388-2222 or DSN 312-280-1110. The system is automated and does not have a live operator. If you have difficulties, contact Army Community Service at 608-388-3505 for information and referral assistance.