Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Army
Relocation Readiness - Army Community Service
Bldg 109 Langford Lake Rd
Fort Irwin, CA 92310-1420
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Many installations give kids the chance to meet a new friend and become acquainted with their new installation through the installation’s youth program. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online. For more information, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and click on Youth Services and your new installation. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the Youth Sponsorship Program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
You will receive an initial welcome letter from your unit. In order to better assist you with your relocation to Fort Irwin, contact the G1 Strength Management Office, they will provide you with information on the brigade that you are assigned to. For more information contact G1 at 760-380-3225/5237, DSN 312-470-3225/5237.
To assist in facilitating smooth transitions for youth as they relocate to new military installations, Please contact the School Liaison Officer (SLO) for more information at 760-380-6880; DSN 312-470-6880.
To forward your mail temporarily you can use the following address: Your Name, Post Locator, and P.O. Box 105010, Your Expected Arrival Date, Fort Irwin, CA 92310-5010. When you arrive, you can pick-up your mail at the Post Locator in Building 306. If you forward your mail, please make sure that you go to the post office as soon as you arrive. If your expected arrival date changes after your mail has been forwarded, please call 760-380-3369 to let them know that you are still coming to Fort Irwin. This will prevent your mail from being returned to the sender. If you prefer to rent a Post Office Box in advance, call the Post Office at 760-386-2259.