Meet overall wellness goals and manage COVID-19 stress with My MilLife Guide. Learn how to opt in to eight weeks of helpful texts delivered to your device.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
1000 Ellsworth Street
Ellsworth AFB, SD 57706
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
A valuable resource to have before making your move to Ellsworth is your sponsor. Your sponsor should have been appointed by your new unit upon receipt of notification of your assignment. The sponsor is responsible for making contact with you within 48 hours after the appointment. After contacting you and inquiring about any specific needs or questions that you may have, he or she will send you information that you requested, along with other items about the base and the local community. After arriving at Ellsworth, your sponsor will greet you and show you around the base and local area. Spouses may request sponsors as well. Should you need additional assistance and you cannot reach your sponsor, contact Relocation Services within the Airman and Family Readiness Center at DSN 312-675-4663 or 605-385-4663 for additional assistance.
The Postal Service Center (PSC) needs pertinent information from you to handle your temporary address. Prior to having your mail forwarded to Ellsworth, please call the Ellsworth Postal Service Center at DSN 312-675-6229 or 605-385-6229. If you do not notify the PSC ahead of time, your mail will be held for only 15 days. After 15 days, it is returned to the sender. Until you get a permanent address, your mail may be forwarded to (Rank/Full Name), 2650 Spaatz Drive, Unit 5000, Ellsworth AFB, SD 57706.