Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Airman & Family Readiness Center - Relocation Program 81 FSS/FSFR
500 Fisher Street, Room 110
Keesler AFB, MS 39534
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Many installations give kids the chance to meet a new friend and become acquainted with their new installation through the installation’s youth program. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online. For more information, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and click on Youth Services and your new installation. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the Youth Sponsorship Program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Your sponsor is responsible for contacting you and answering any questions you may have prior to your arrival. Your sponsor will help you and your family until you are settled in. If you have not heard from a sponsor, you should initiate contact with your unit for a sponsor no later than 30 days prior to departing your current location. If you experience any communication difficulties with your sponsor, please contact the unit Orderly Room or the Airman and Family Readiness Center's main office, 228-376-8728 or DSN 312-591-8728.
Personnel coming to Keesler for TDY training should coordinate with the training squadron for specific information regarding their school and their lodging arrangements. Please refer to the AETC ETCA site since all training courses are required to post reporting instruction there.
Non-Prior Service (NPS) Technical Training Students are not provided sponsors. However, the Keesler Airman and Family Readiness Center Annex will assist with any questions or concerns you may have. Please call 228-377-0155 or DSN 312-597-0155.
Before you arrive, use the following temporary address: Rank and name; General Delivery, Keesler AFB, MS 39534-2322; Member's Reporting Date. Your sponsor can get you a PO Box up to 90 days prior to your arrival. Please be sure to provide your sponsor with a copy of your orders. If you have any questions about postal service, call 228-377-2167.