Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Relocation Assistance (Airman and Family Readiness Flight)
1451 4th Street SE
Consolidated Support Center, Building 20245
Kirtland AFB, NM 87117
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Sponsors are assigned by the Command Support Section of your gaining unit. Your sponsor is probably the most important person at Kirtland Air Force Base in assisting with preparations for your move. They can help you locate temporary housing, permanent housing and assist with in-processing. Your sponsor should send you pertinent information about the base and local communities including the base guide, base newspaper, housing information, maps and their phone number and address. If you have not heard from your sponsor within 30 days of your reporting date, contact your unit or the Military Personnel Section Customer Service at DSN 312-246-2354 or 505-846-2354.
Another great tool available to service members undergoing a permanent change of station is Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 or https://www.militaryonesource.mil/. Military OneSource can help make your move easier with helpful tips, resources and hands-on information. Assistance is available for every stage of your PCS, whether you're traveling solo or taking your family with you, helping to make the move as smooth and seamless as possible.