Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Marine Corps
Relocation Assistance Services
3019 Embry Loop
Quantico, VA 22134-5001
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Personnel desiring command sponsorship should contact their current unit sponsorship coordinator or the installation Information and Referral/Relocation Office to request a sponsor at their gaining command. The installation Information and Referral Office can be reached at 703-784-2659 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Personnel who were not assigned a sponsor prior to transfer and who need command sponsorship during the permanent change of station transfer may also contact the Military Personnel Reception Center or the Relocation Assistance Office. The Installation Personnel Administration Center is the central office for Marine Corps personnel reporting to Quantico and is located on the second deck of Building 2006 (Headquarters and Service Battalion), Hawkins Ave. IPAC is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to noon (except holidays) and may be reached by calling 703-784-4466.
To forward mail to Quantico, fill out two "Change of Address" cards at the post office at your present command. Address all mail going to Quantico to General Delivery, Quantico, VA 22134. The Postmaster will retain your mail for 30 days from your stated estimated date of arrival. To collect your mail check in with the post office. Please be sure to check the appropriate boxes for temporary or permanent assignment, single or family mail so that all mail for the family will be kept together.