Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Airman and Family Readiness Center
425 Amerikan Hava US Birligi
Hilton Is Merkezi A-Blok
Gazi Oman Pasa Blv No: 7
Konak Izmir Turkey 35210
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Many installations give kids the chance to meet a new friend and become acquainted with their new installation through the installation’s youth program. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online. For more information, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and click on Youth Services and your new installation. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the Youth Sponsorship Program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Advise your sponsor of the date, time, and number of your arrival flight by emailing your Travel Itinerary to their personal and work email address. Ensure you also give them your personal email/personal cell phone number so you and your sponsor can get in contact with each other. It's very important to have your sponsor meet you at the airport. Your sponsor can be a huge asset by sending you information on Izmir, your duty section, the local community. You will receive a "Izmir Welcome Guide" via email with information on Izmir facilities, programs, the city, and the local community. If you want to exchange dollars for Turkish Lira, after clearing customs at the airport, you can exchange money at the airport or withdraw Lira from local ATM at the airport. Also, ensure you have advised your creditors that you are moving to Turkey so they will not have your credit cards blocked. A local taxi ride from the airport to the hotel (this is if your sponsor for some reason does not meet you at the airport) will cost you approximately 100TL (approximately $16). It is appropriate to tip the taxi driver for helping you with your luggage approximately 10 or 20 TL.
Send your orders to your sponsor when you are 30 days out so that he or she can set up a post office box for you at your new assignment. Before PCSing you can fill a PS Form 3575 at your current base to enable them to forward your mail to your new assignment for two months after you leave the base. After two months, only First Class mail will be forwarded and the rest will be sent back to the sender.