Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Relocation Assistance Program
Airman and Family Readiness Center
ATTN: Relocation Program Manager
Bldg. 721, Douglas Boulevard
Kadena AB Japan
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Sponsors are assigned to inbound personnel by the Gaining Units. Once your new unit at Kadena receives official notification of your assignment, the unit CSS will assign a sponsor to you. Your sponsor will then make contact via telephone/e-mail to conduct a needs assessment. With a copy of your PCS orders, your sponsor can obtain a Postal Service Center mailbox for you and notify you of your new forwarding address to ensure no interruption in mail service. Your sponsor can also assist lodging arrangements and provide transportation for you from the airport.
Prior to your arrival, ensure you have been provided contact numbers in the event of delays, changes in flight schedules, or you are not met at the airport. A courtesy phone with a DSN line is available at the Naha International Airport's Information Booth upon request. If you require assistance with sponsorship issues, please see your local Airman and Family Readiness Center for assistance, or contact Relocation Assistance for Kadena, 011-81-98-961-3366 or DSN 315-634-3366.