Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Airman and Family Readiness Center 17 FSS/FSFR
171 Valiant Street Building 145
GAFB, TX 76908-4402
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Many installations give kids the chance to meet a new friend and become acquainted with their new installation through the installation’s youth program. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online. For more information, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and click on Youth Services and your new installation. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the Youth Sponsorship Program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
A sponsor will send permanent party Air Force members information about Goodfellow AFB, answer questions about the base and the area, assist with lodging/dorm arrangements, and meet newcomers upon arrival. A sponsor will help members and their families while they continue to settle into thier new community.
The Postal Service Center can be reached at 325-654-3466 or DSN 312-477-3466. Members who will be residing in the base dormitories may request a post office box up to 60 days prior to arrival or, the sponsor can provide a copy of member's orders to the Psotal Service Center. Any member may contact the above number to request that general delivery mail be held until member arrives, or moves off-base. Without these prior arrangements, general delivery mail is only held for 15 days. The general delivery address is: General Delivery, Your Name, 161 Nuchols St, Unit 8000, Goodfellow AFB, TX 76908-3321. Post Office hours of operation for mailing are 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 - 4:30 p.m. PSC window hours are 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and mail boxes can be checked anytime.