Get the latest on the Coronavirus outbreak for the military community on Military OneSource.
SHOWING 1 - 1 OF 1 RESULTS
United States Air Force
Airman & Family Readiness Center -Air Force
45 Nealy Avenue
Bldg. 15, Wing B, Ste 100
Langley AFB, VA 23665
Moving is a way of life for service members and their families. Resources like MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Plan My Move and Military OneSource provide important information to help make moving easier. But, for many newcomers, a sponsor adds that personal touch. A sponsor is assigned by a newcomer's gaining unit and helps the newcomer before, during and after a move. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor, you can request a sponsor through your new unit. Units try to match sponsors and service members by rank and family status. We also recognize that the service member isn’t the only one affected by a move, so spouses can also receive training to become a sponsor.
To help prepare sponsors for success, the Sponsorship Program provides training and access to important information and resources. The Sponsorship Program helps sponsors fulfill their duties including:
· Contacting the service member and family with an introductory email
· Staying in contact with the service member throughout the moving process
· Sending information about the new community and duty assignment, responding to questions and providing information about resources
· Confirming transportation and lodging arrangements
· Helping with post office arrangements
· Meeting service members and family members upon arrival
· Going with service members to unit check-in point
· Introducing service members to the Military and Family Support Center and loan closet, if it’s available
· Familiarizing service members and families with the installation and key locations, like the commissary
Note: Responsibilities may vary based on service-specific policies and guidance.
Overall, the Sponsorship Program aims to do the following:
· Provide newcomers with a sense of belonging
· Ease the transition for inbound service members or civilians and their family members
· Increase productivity of service members and loved ones
· Help newcomers make informed decisions
· Cultivate new friendships
· Improve morale
For more information on the Sponsorship Program, contact your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office or, in the Marine Corps, the Information and Referral office.
Installation youth sponsorship programs facilitate the integration of military connected youth to new surroundings during moves. Primarily directed to preteen and teenaged youth, installation youth programs give youth information and materials on programs and services available at their new location. Where available, youth can exchange emails, talk on the phone or chat online with other youth. The youth program staff at your new installation can offer more information on the youth sponsorship program. Families with children may also want to visit Military Kids Connect, an online community for military children and youth. The site offers games, videos and links to teen-led installation tours.
Each time you move you should request a sponsor prior to your arrival. Your sponsor will provide you and your family with installation and community information. Your sponsor should assist with pre-arrival arrangements, answer questions, meet you personally upon arrival, and ensure your move to JBLE goes smoothly and all your in-processing needs are met. If you have not been assigned a sponsor, use the "Request a Sponsor" link at the right of this page. Your message will be sent to the JBLE - Langley Airman & Family Readiness Center or Army Community Center, and they will do everything possible to make sure your sponsor request is answered.
To assist you in your arrival, you may have your mail forwarded to General Delivery at the Postal Service Center (PSC). Use your name instead of the words "General Delivery" in the address. Not doing this could cause your mail to get misrouted by the United States Postal Service. You can contact the Langley Post Office at 757-764-2200, DSN 312-574-2200.
Your Rank and Name49 Spruce StreetPSC Box 1000Langley AFB, VA 23665-2800
Each time you move you should request a sponsor prior to your arrival. Your sponsor will provide you and your family with installation and community information. Your sponsor should assist with pre-arrival arrangements, answer questions, meet you personally upon arrival, and ensure your move to JBLE goes smoothly and all your in-processing needs are met. A sponsor must be requested through the ACT sponsorship portal. If you have not been assigned a sponsor contact your gaining unit directly for assistance.